Its structures and mentality need to be responsive, a resource, and a source of support. On my doorstep, in Hackney Momentum, we try to ensure that our meetings always include a discussion with local campaigns — such as the occupation of empty council houses by Sisters Uncut, seeking to create and get council support for a centre for women facing domestic violence.
We discuss with them how Momentum can support them, build their social base and political impact. We focus on this promotion of grassroots solutions alongside political education aimed at the young people enthused by the new politics and canvassing for the Labour party, and opening up local party structures to the creative initiatives around them. Our own institutions are being built to facilitate this dual strategy of reaching outside the Labour party as well as working inside it.
- Rogue Economics;
- Security in a Post-Cold War World!
- Navy Brat.
- The B-Book: Assigning Programs to Meanings.
- Some Reflections on Student Movements of the s and Early s;
- 11 Comments.
The people who gave so much of their lives to building and sustaining them often have the capacity to transform the content and reach of these institutions too. In other areas, community activists are using their organising skills to turn old Labour party structures into a resource for militant campaigns. In all these ways, the crown in parliament is facing a lot more than protest or paper resolutions. This is about creating lasting solutions that both prefigure and prepare for an end to austerity politics, and build the popular self-confidence to elect a Labour-led government.
London: a capital of protest politics
But it cannot concern itself simply with electoral politics. It will need, like Momentum, and like the Radical Independence Campaign in Scotland , to be driven by popular struggle: a people-powered politics. Topics Momentum Opinion. The issues discussed include demonstrations, direct action, counter-cultural protest, industrial unrest, urban disorder and politically motivated violence.
The Politics of Constitutional Amendment
Free Preview. Buy eBook.
- The First German Philosopher: The Mysticism of Jakob Böhme as Interpreted by Hegel.
- What is the point of petitions in British politics?.
- Assessment for Learning Within and Beyond the Classroom: Taylor’s 8th Teaching and Learning Conference 2015 Proceedings!
- Britains Educational Reform: A Comparison with Japan (Nissan Institute Routledge Japanese Studies Series).
- Discovering God: The Origins of the Great Religions and the Evolution of Belief.
- Leave A Comment.
- Diseases of the Nails and Their Management 3rd Edition.
- Holger Nehring.
- How do Labour and the unions make themselves relevant in the 21st century? | Abi Wilkinson;
- Researching and Transforming Adult Learning and Communities: The Local/Global Context.
- Bibliographic Information.
- Designing with the Mind in Mind. Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Guidelines.
- Nonequilibrium Phenomena in Plasmas (Astrophysics and Space Science Library).
- Post navigation.
Advanced Search. Article Navigation. Close mobile search navigation Article Navigation. Volume Oxford Academic. Google Scholar. Cite Citation.
Permissions Icon Permissions. Article PDF first page preview.
Issue Section:. You do not currently have access to this article. Download all figures.